*I know how to throw a party*
Every four years I forget whatever else is happening in my world and focus on one thing…. the Summer Olympics. It brings me so much joy to celebrate our country and the best of the best here and around the world in the various sports that compete. I’m an equal opportunity watcher and devote as much time to badminton as I do soccer….but my favorite events to watch are swimming, gymnastics, track & field, cycling and beach volleyball.
This year was a little different though…with the boyfriend out of town I decided I would do it big and so I organized a girls night to celebrate and watch the Olympic Opening Ceremony. With it all going down in London this year, I figured why not celebrate with a little British Flair? And so I whipped up a giant batch of Pimms Cups, procured British candies from London Candy Company, and made a smorgasbord of tea sandwiches for us to snack on! We may have been eating like the Brits, but we were all USA. Long after my guests had departed, I sat entranced by the ceremony watching the entire country procession and re-caps long into the night. Ten days later and I still wake up every morning and end every night watching Olympic coverage. GO USA!
My party was over a week ago and yet I haven’t been able to shake the sandwiches. In fact, I made a few for my friend’s birthday picnic last weekend! This may be my new go-to when I want something simple but fun.
Get creative here! I made the following but you can really make tea sandwiches with any desired meats, cheeses, veggies and fruits!
- cucumber, garlic, salt/pepper and cream cheese on whole wheat bread
- strawberry and cream cheese on cinnamon raisin bread
- turkey curry with apricots and almonds on white bread
- mozzarella, tomato, and basil on five grain bread
- egg salad with celery and lettuce on whole wheat bread
- smoked salmon, dill and horseradish on rye bread
- cut crusts off bread
- spread, fill and slather desired ingredients onto one slice of bread and top with other slice
- cut into 3-4 even slices, plate and serve!